Gjest Sue Barham Skrevet September 5, 2000 Skrevet September 5, 2000 What does this word signify when attached to the name of a farm? Is the answer true regardless of what municipality or parish in which it occurs?
Gjest Kristian Fjeldsgård Skrevet September 5, 2000 Skrevet September 5, 2000 It means that it is a part,later usually independent part, of the farm. Rønningen is very common, if it is a rare main farm name it may be true regardless were it's situated, but most farm names occours all over Norway, and you have to specify the municipalty or parish
Gjest Kristian Fjeldsgård Skrevet September 5, 2000 Skrevet September 5, 2000 Lenke is a link to Norwegian farm names
Gjest Sue Barham Skrevet September 5, 2000 Skrevet September 5, 2000 Thank you Kristian. I suspected that it was a way to set apart one section of a main farm from the other. I don't do too well in the Rygh list, because I don't read Norwegian, but I will try again.
Gjest Kristian Fjeldsgård Skrevet September 6, 2000 Skrevet September 6, 2000 If you know the main farm name start with the first and the second letter and a * or ?. The spelling is essensiell and I allways do it searching the 1664 cencus. If you have the area, the better. I advice you to registrate your ancestor with the farm name as the surname, with known alias AKA (situated on other farms f.i). In the case Rønningen - by memory I recall Bø-Rønningen as a farm name, and I would have the surname Bø-Rønningen, or if Northern(Nordre) Bø, Bø-Nordre. It's easier to trace Ole Pedersen Bø-Nordre than Ole Pedersen or Ole Pedersen Rønningen
Recommended Posts