Gå til innhold
Nasjonalarkivet

[#8948] Translation Please


Recommended Posts

Gjest Ralph Peterson
Skrevet

I need help in translating the following I found listed in the 1875 census under Yrke. 'gaardskarl hos grosserer Bjørnstad'. Thank You Ralph Peterson

Gjest Ingrid Gillesøy
Skrevet

It means that he was a farmer servant with 'Merchant' Bjørnstad.

Gjest Jan Oldervoll
Skrevet

I do not think Ingrid is quite correct. Gard had, and has, a doble meaning in Norwegian. Useually it means a farm. But it may also mean a house in a town, in most cases a house with more than one appartment or some kind of economic activity. A 'gaardskarl hos grosserer Bjørnstad' probably means a servant working for the merchant in the house(s) were he had his economic activity (not as a domistic servant).

Gjest Ingrid Gillesøy
Skrevet

It was good that Jan informed about the different meanings! I did not hit upon that! But of course, the merchants as usual lives in the town - I wondered slightly about it ;-) Now you can be sure, that you have got the right translation.

  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

    • Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
×
×
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.